Sunday 30 September 2007

British Citizen was arrested for the importation of Heroin in Thailand

In 1995 a British Citizen was arrested for the importation of Heroin in Thailand and later sentenced to life imprisonment. On August 12th 2004 this British Citizen became the first ever prisoner on a life sentence to transfer on the Thailand – England Prisoner Transfer Treaty. The Lord Chief Justice of England set a provisional tariff and it was then later formally set by the High Court of England to 10 years. 10 years tariff being the same term of imprisonment required by Thailand’s Law for a life sentence prisoner to serve before being eligible for parole(release on licence). When I enquired to the Home Office in England, about my own eligibility date to be considered for parole, (once I have transferred back to England on the Treaty). I was told by Paul Goggins MP (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State) click here that I would only be, automatically released from custody in England once I have served two-thirds of the balance of my sentence remaining at the date of my transfer to England. The balance of my sentence is calculated by deducting the time I have served in prison in Thailand. 4 years being the minimum I have to serve in a Thai prison before being eligible for transfer on the treaty to England. 4 years time served in Thailand deducted from my original sentence of 33 years and 6 months leaves me with a balance of sentence of 29 years 6 months. Of which according to the terms of the treaty and Mr. Paul Goggins, I have to serve two-thirds of 29 years 6 months, which is 19 years 8 months plus the 4 years I will have already served in a prison in Thailand. That equals a total of 23 years 8 months imprisonment. I would only be eligible for consideration for release on parole Licence once I have served one half of my original sentence, that being16 years 9month.

0 comments: