Wednesday 19 December 2007

Downsides to Methadone

#1 - You have to go to a clinic every day for a long time at the beginning, which I did mention, but I didn't mention the fact that you are surrounded by drug addicts while doing so, and there are usually drug dealers parked outside (especially the lower-class clinics, there are many different "types" of methadone clinics, some for street addicts, some for upper-class addicts, and the latter is far superior.) Buprenorphine doesn't have this problem.
#2 - It is extremely difficult to get off of methadone. You have, in most cases, withdrawals worse than heroin, and lasting over a month (as opposed to a week with heroin.) Buprenorphine has extremely mild withdrawals in most cases, but they are long lasting like methadone, about a month (compared to about a week with short-acting opiates.)
Well, that's really it. I think I mentioned everything else. But these two things are very important. Let me know if I am missing anything.
Finally I want to say that this diary has been misinterpreted that I was suggesting lifelong maintenance. I was not. While that is certainly a possibility, especially with certain individuals, the goal of maintenance treatment is that you will get off of it eventually, and that should be very clear.

0 comments: