Monday 18 August 2008

Friday Joy, 27, and Aruna Ramot, 28, were arrested at 7pm on Tuesday, August 12, 2008, during the screening of passengers on KLM flight to Amsterdam.

Friday Joy, 27, and Aruna Ramot, 28, were arrested at 7pm on Tuesday, August 12, 2008, during the screening of passengers on KLM flight to Amsterdam.The Two women have been arrested at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport Lagos by officials of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency for lodging illegal substances suspected to be cocaine in their private parts. The NDLEA Airport Commander, Mr. Victor Cole-Showers, said that the women were nabbed based on routine profiling carried out on them by its officials during boarding by passengers.
“Two of them were found to have inserted five wraps each in their private parts,” the statement said.He said that the NDLEA was able to arrest the women because it was well informed on the tricks often employed by drug traffickers, adding that the agency would fulfil its mission of preventing the country from being used as a transit nation. Friday, a housewife with a four-year-old son, resides in Bologna in Italy. She inserted five wraps weighing 273 grammes into her private parts.
The suspect, who has spent over seven years in Italy, told the NDLEA that she was in desperate need of money to rent an apartment, having been separated from her husband for over a year. “It was not my intention; I was only doing it to help myself and my son. I needed money urgently to rent a house. I bought the drugs for the sum of 3,300 euros,” she reportedly confessed. Preliminary investigation by the NDLEA revealed that this was her second time of trafficking in hard drugs. In her statement, she indicated that she was given 2,000 euros on her first trip.
“The man I went to for help to secure a job told me to do drug business. This is my second time, the first time I was successful and my sponsor paid me 2,000 euros. Considering my condition, I decided to do it myself,” she stated.
Her friend, Ramot, a divorcee, who also lives in Italy, inserted five wraps of the suspected substance, weighing 269 grammes into her private part.
Both suspects, who are from Edo State, claimed to have bought the drug from a man identified as ‘chairman’.

0 comments: