Wednesday 20 August 2008

Perry Wharrie, 48, of Pyrles Lane, in Loughton, was found guilty of possessing cocaine for sale and supply

Perry Wharrie, 48, of Pyrles Lane, in Loughton, was found guilty of possessing cocaine for sale and supply following a lengthy trial at Cork Circuit Criminal Court, in Ireland. Wharrie was also jailed in 1989 for the murder of off-duty police officer PC Frank Mason following a Securicor van robbery in Hemel Hempstead, in Hertfordshire, in 1988. Wharrie, with two others, was convicted of killing PC Mason, and served 17 years before being released in April 2005. The constable died following a struggle with the raiders when a single shot was fired, not by Wharrie, killing PC Mason. In relation to the drugs case, Martin Wanden, 45, of no fixed obode, and John Daly, 41, of Bexley, in Kent, were also convicted of possessing the drugs, and jailed for 30 and 25 years respectively. The Epping Forest Guardian reported at the time of their arrests how Wharrie had been charged in connection with Ireland's biggest ever seizure of illegal drugs at Dunlough Bay, Mizen Head, off the County Cork coast, on July 2 last year. More than 60 bales of cocaine were discovered floating in the sea when an air search was carried out for a number of men reported missing after a dinghy capsized. The group were attempting to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of the drug into Ireland. Michael Colgan, head of customs drugs law enforcement in Ireland, told the Guardian: "The Dunlough Bay find was the largest quantity of cocaine ever seized in Ireland and, as such, the case has enormous significance for us." He said they are working closely with seven EU countries, including Britain, to tackle the problem, and added: "International co-operation is essential for us: the fight against international drug smuggling is a battle which no country can wage on its own." Rita Fenwick, 66, Wharrie's next-door neighbour in the council block of flats above the parade of shops on Pyrles Lane, described him as a friendly, community-minded man. She said: "I knew he had been in prison before but he seemed nice enough so I didn't want to pry. I would often talk to him when we were out on the balcony and he would give me tips on how to look after my pot plants. He was very green-fingered. I know he lived there with his wife and that he had some grown-up step-children.
"The first time I found out about this was when I read in the papers that someone from Pyrles Lane had been arrested. I was shocked when I found out it was Perry."
She added: "Trust me, I don't go a bundle on gangster types; but I can tell you he was a nice man and a good neighbour."
Enver Mustafa, who lived in the same block of flats as Wharrie, said: "I used to pass him on the stairs, but I never really spoke to him. I think he lived alone, although I did see him with a woman sometimes.
"But, like I said, he just kept himself to himself really."
Mr Mustafa, who owns Envers Dry Cleaning and Ironing shop, on Pyrles Lane, added: "He just seemed like a normal guy. So it was a big shock to see him in the papers."

0 comments: